It seems ridiculously obvious, but simply asking your insurance agent “Can I get a discount on that?” is one of the easiest ways to save money on insurance. And there are more discounts than you might think.
If you’re a senior, a military veteran, a student with good grades, drive a safe or alternative fuel vehicle, have a home security system or smoke detector, keep your annual mileage low, drive a safe vehicle, etc., you may be eligible for any number of insurance discounts.
Here are a few questions to ask your agent:
- “Can I save money by purchasing my car and home/renters insurance from the same company?"
- “My driving record is superb. Am I eligible for a safe driver discount?”
- “Do you offer discounts for owners of hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles?”
- “I’m a good student—does that make me eligible for a car insurance discount?”
- “Does your company offer senior discounts?”
- “Can I lower my home insurance rate if I have a home security system, deadbolt locks, storm shutters or fire-retardant roofing?”
- “My car’s excellent safety rating makes me eligible for a car insurance discount, correct?”
- “As a military veteran, am I eligible for a car insurance discount?”
- “I’m a non-smoker. Can I get a non-smoking discount on my home insurance?”
- “I’ve been with your company for a number of years. Am I eligible for a ‘loyalty discount’?”
- “Are there any other discounts that may be available to me?”
These days, everyone’s looking for money saving tips. So when you speak with your insurance agent, always remember this famous adage: “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.”
It could save you a ton of money on your insurance premiums.
And remember, if you can't find a cheaper insurance rate with your current insurer, compare insurance quotes and shop around for a cheaper policy! As I've said before, Shopping around is probably the best way to save a large amount of money on your premium, and you probably won't have to sacrifice coverage to save.